Petrol / Methanol / Water Injection on Diesels
The following is rather lengthy but probably something you that will help you decide whether the Chip It Petrol Injection System is right for you.
With years of experience injecting LPG into diesel engines, we at Chip It know the added benefits of such a system. However, some draw backs have led us to pioneer a new System which claims the benefits of LPG injection … without the drawbacks. This system is Chip It’s new Diesel Petrol Injection (DPI). The System not only will inject Petrol it can inject Methanol/water at 50/50 or straight Water a mix of Petrol / Methanol. It is very versatile.
Injection is fully mappable via the Chip It Common rail ECU or tunable via the Chip It MAP ECU.
Below we list the benefits:
- Provides a very smooth, clean diesel burn.
- Cooling of Air Intake Charge temperatures by 5-10 deg Celsius.
- Actual Tests shows a reduction of Exhaust Gas Temps by up to 100 deg C at 140kms.
- The additional fuel is injected into air intake before (or after the turbo if desired) so installation is easy.
People often ask us “why not just add the petrol into the Diesel tank?”
There are a few reasons why adding petrol into the diesel tank does not work anywhere near as well as the Chip It DPI System:
- You do not want to dilute the diesel fuel system in the tank as it has the highest energy per litre of all the fuels.
- You want more total volume of fuel, not less. By adding extra fuel into the air intake, the full charge of diesel is still being injected and a larger total fuel volume is absorbed into the engine.
- Diesel pumps and seals etc are kept the way the manufacturer intended. The only fuel they are pumping is the fuel they are designed to pump … diesel with its high lubrication qualities.
- ECU control means you always have just enough extra fuel being injected without damaging your engine. You can never make a mistake with the amount of fuel being added. EG. By adding petrol to the diesel tank you are always wondering how much petrol you add now that you’ve just topped up the diesel.
Obviously, Diesel Petrol Injection not for everyone, however if you are looking for a performance mod that out-performs all other performance mods you have come to the right place. Not only does it work better than LPG injection due to the higher energy content in petrol / methanol (Petrol = 35,000kjs/litre) versus LPG (27,000kjs/litre), petrol also has a faster flame speed than LPG. Plus, better cooling effect on the air intake charge. These extra benefits greatly enhance the power of your diesel.
Petrol vs. LPG Injection on Diesel Vehicles
|Installation: Can be fitted at home (zero cost)||Must be fitted by licensed fitter ($1000-1500)|
|On-going costs: No yearly inspections||Yearly inspections at circa $60.00 per year|
|Parts availability: Parts readily available from all auto parts stores||Parts hard to source and only available through fitter|
|Cost to own: $1999.00||$3,500.00 – $4,000.00|
|Govt rebate if applicable: No||Yes. After July 1st 2010 rebate if applicable is $1500|
|Cost if rebate is available: NA||$2000.00 – $2500.00|
|Best bang for your buck: 1st place (35,000kjs/litre)||2nd place (27,000kjs/litre)|
THIS GRAPH SHOWS THE ABILITY OF DPI OVER JUST THE CHIP IT PERFORMANCE MODULE.
WITH THE PETROL INJECTION WE MADE 118NM MORE TORQUE AND A FURTHER 30% AT JUST 2000RPMS.
IE: 43% MORE THAN STANDARD!
- GU Patrol Petrol Injection
The “cook’s” tour: Diesel engines are around 80% efficient. The unburnt diesel is ejected both out of the exhaust as black smoke AND also into your engine oil (which is why diesel oil is highly contaminated [black] within 500 kms).
Adding Petrol into the combustion mix helps burn the diesel burn by making the whole of the mixture inside the combustion chamber ignite in one quick clean complete burn.
It is like when you throw a match into a Petrol spill, the whole lot lights up in one quick flash. Diesel Petrol Injection does the same thing inside the combustion chamber where the normally hard-to-ignite diesel is fighting to remain unburnt. This ignition of the usually WASTED diesel and the extra fuel (petrol) is where the system gains the extra efficiency and power from.
Correctly adding the extra fuel is where the Diesel Performance Solution ECU works its magic. The ECU monitors Boost and Engine Load and injects Petrol into the air intake stream under moderate to hard acceleration.
Use of Residual Air: You may also know that generally, a diesel engine has no throttle plate or butterfly valve (like a petrol engine) per se. (Ultra Modern Diesels do have a type of butterfly valve however it is not there to govern air flow like a petrol engine) With a diesel, air is drawn into the engine is unrestricted. I.E. For each inlet stroke the maximum amount of air is drawn into the combustion chamber. The speed of the engine is then controlled by the amount of diesel that is injected and burnt on the combustion stroke.
As a result of this maximum air / limited fuel combustion process, these is, generally, spare oxygen left in the combustion chamber after all of the diesel has been consumed. This we call “residual air”. It is this residual air which we use to burn with the petrol which is injected prior to the inlet manifold.
The high compression environment of the diesel engine increases the energy produced by the Petrol by around 30% bringing its energy output per litre burned very close to that of diesel. Coupled with petrol’s faster ignition rate than that of diesel, the intense mix is highly explosive. When the diesel start to ignite, as per usual, the whole air / fuel charge is ignited with a almost singular flame front which is evidenced by those that have experienced a diesel petrol injection engine, namely, the substantially reduced engine noise which. In some cases, the “rattle” is reduced so much that the engine at high load high RPMs can be confused for that of a regular petrol engine. This is a good thing and what modern diesel engine manufacturers are striving for.
- Petrol also has a faster ignition rate of that of diesel and this faster burn rate increases the diesel burn percentage and therefore increases the engine’s total power output.
- Petrol is the perfect catalyst to increase the burn efficiency of the diesel since petrol has a higher calorific value (higher energy content) than LPG.
Increased Thermal Efficiency: When a small percentage of petrol is injected into a diesel engine the homogenous mix will enhance the diesel burn better than if only the diesel fuel was present. The petrol will ignite only after the diesel has begun to burn and the higher compression ratio of the diesel engine substantially increases the thermal efficiency of both the diesel and the petrol.
- The energy produced by burning Petrol in a Diesel engine is approximately 28.5% greater than when burned in a regular spark ignition petrol engine.
RELIABILTY: When you buy a Diesel Performance Solution System, you know we have done many hours of tuning to reach a safe and reliable power increase straight out of the box. Our diesel experience means the material quality second to none. Our After-Sales Service and our 48 hour parts replacement policy gives you further piece of mind.
POWER INCREASES AND FUEL SAVINGS: The Chip It Diesel Performance Systems are the most cost efficient method of increasing the power of your diesel engine on the market today. With its efficiency we can boast increased midrange torque figures of up to 50% for most vehicles. This increased midrange torque allows greater progress through the gears, safer towing and over-taking or keeping you in higher gears longer. The Chip It Diesel Performance Petrol Injection System was designed for the 4WD’s and trucking industry wanting more power right across the load range, not only at high engine RPMs. It really makes the diesel engine come alive with loads more torque.
ENHANCED ENGINE LIFE: With the addition of PETROL and having burnt nearly 100% of the diesel in the combustion chamber, the piston is driven down smoother and quieter resulting in less engine stress and less wear and tear. The big benefit is that your engine oil is cleaner because the diesel is not contaminating the oil.
- A cleaner burn, with less hammering of the big-end bearings
- Constant cleaning of carbon deposits from the cylinder-head, valves and turbo.
- With Diesel / Petrol Injection you still have 100% of the lubricating qualities of the diesel, thus no abnormal upper cylinder or piston ring wear occurs.
RIGEROUS TUNE TESTING: Every Diesel Performance Solution System is thoroughly tested here in our manufacturing facility here in Australia. All tunes are tested using Australian fuel, under Australian conditions and Australian Complied vehicles. All testing is conducted in-house by our own master vehicle tuners. Every Chip It Diesel Performance Solution System is mapped to maximise the performance of each engine family not each engine manufacturer.
When necessary, mapping can be customised easily via laptop software provided free whenever needed and can be made accommodate a larger exhaust or higher turbo boost pressures.
EASY INSTALLATION: Every Chip It Diesel Performance Solution System is designed to be installed by anyone with basic mechanical knowledge. Original electrical plugs and connectors are used, wherever possible, to facilitate easy installation. Systems do not need to be signed off by any accredited certifier or licensed fitter and therefore can be installed by you saving you big $$$.
EMISSIONS: By improving combustion, when in use, the Chip It Diesel Performance Solution reduces black smoke emissions usually by between 80% – 90%.
Particulate Matter reduction by approximately 80% is a consequence of an efficient combustion process which now is being completed within the combustion chamber … where it should be!
A few points for the tech savvy amongst us:
1) Chip It Petrol Injection is a TRUE INJECTION SYSTEM which delivers fuel pressure via true RISING RATE delivery system and also shut down the System at idle and when otherwise not in use. This fuel saving feature saves your PETROL when it’s not needed thus saving even more.
We do not use a venturi to draw in the petrol.
2) Ease of Tuning. The Diesel Performance Solution System will fully regulate the delivery of PETROL electronically and automatically and accommodates rises and falls is altitude.
3) Proportionally Injected PETROL to suit the terrain and driver’s style. The harder the vehicle is driven, the more PETROL the Diesel Performance Solution System injects. The less hills etc, the less PETROL it uses.
4) Built-in Engine Protection and Safety features: The Chip It ECU will not interfere with your factory ECU in any way. All safety features and error codes will be displayed as if the Petrol injection system were not even there.
5) Zero Engine Intake Restrictions: With our intake injection, we can boast that no restrictive venturis are placed within the air intake tract. This allows for greater volumetric efficiency since the engine is not trying to overcome yet another restriction in the inlet tract.
6) No Manual Switching or User Intervention Required:
The Petrol Injection System is fully automatic. Once the System is armed, it is “set and forget” as it never needs to be turned off. The System automatically adapts to both stop/start and highway driving modes and means drivers do not need to worry about forgetting to turn off the system. When Petrol in the tank is too low for operation, the System turns off the Chip It fuel pump to stop it running dry.
7) Chip It Warranty: Since the Chip It Diesel Performance Solution System has few moving parts it has very little to fail. However, if any part of the System does fail, we will provide a new replacement parts usually within 24 hours of us diagnosing the problem. The Chip It Diesel Performance Solution System comes standard with a 2 years parts warranty.
THIS KIT ALSO CAN ACCEPT A METHANOL MIX AT A 50/50 RATIO WITH EITHER WATER OR PETROL.
PETROL TANK SIZE AND PLACEMENT:
Stainless steel or aluminium prefabricated tanks are available with the kit or any sheet metal fabricator. The standard tank size is very small (10 litres) however if you wish to custom make a tank to fit your exactly requirements, we are happy to reduce the price of the System and remove the tank from the order.
Fitment/placement is at owner’s discretion however we install most fuel tanks under the rear quarter panels, under or in the back of the tray. Anywhere out of the way will do.
RUNNING OUT OF PETROL: If your vehicle runs out of PETROL the Chip It System seamlessly and automatically switches from diesel/PETROL to straight diesel. In fact, since we do not touch the vehicles factory FUEL, ECU, or ELECTRONICS systems your vehicle does not even know the Chip It Petrol Injection System is installed. So if you run out of PETROL your motor just keeps running as before the Chip It System was installed. When you refill the PETROL the System automatically starts without any driver intervention.
INVESTMENT: The full Petrol Injection System to suit CR-D costs only $1,990.
- DPS215, 4 Channel ECU
- Wiring Harness
- In-line Hi Flow (Bosche 040 Style) Fuel Pump
- Fuel Filter
- Polished Anodised Alloy Full Rising Rate Bypass Regulator
- On-Board Pressure Gauge
- Fuel Atomiser
- 14 Metres of High Quality Push Lock Fuel Line
- Anodised Speed Flow Style Fuel Fittings
- Fuel Tank Float Switch
- Cable Ties
- ON/OFF Switch showing System ARMED and OPERATING LED
- Full 2 Years Parts Warranty
KIT IS FULLY COMPLETE. ALL YOU NEED IS A DAY TO FIT
PRE-COMMON RAIL KITS INCLUDE ALL OF THE ABOVE MINUS THE CHIP IT COMMON RAIL ECU minus $200.00
10 LITRE POLISHED ALLOY FUEL TANK WITH ALL SPEED FLOW STYLE FITTINGS ADD $350.00
THE LAST FEW POINTS:
- The Petrol Injection System is fully transportable. When fitting the System, you will not destroy any of the vehicle’s intake hoses, pipes or other systems. When you on-sell the vehicle you can quickly and easily remove the kit, without having to re-purchase any damaged parts to have the vehicle put back to standard. The removed Petrol Injection System will then easily fit onto the new vehicle possibly needing a simple retune.
- DPI cleans the inside of turbos, manifolds and valves of carbon and grime build up.
- Being a power modification only, we turn on the DPI System AFTER 50% throttle referenced to boost which is around 5psi boost.
Therefore, the System is injecting the auxiliary fuel only when the driver requires more powers.
- Because of the above, 10ltrs of petrol will last approx100 litres of diesel.
This of course depends on how hard the vehicle is driven.
To order your DPI System to suit your Common Rail Diesel System click this link:
DPI System to suit your Pre – Common Rail Diesel System click this link:
For more information call 1800 78 48 82
Sincerely Chip It Sales